Salutations, fellow rangers!
Forgive me for any errors in this blog, my foosball team just lost the sixth game in the series putting us 2 winning games behind the opposition, so my mind may be elsewhere...
Well, I just finished taking a course called Spiritual Formation with Marv Penner. Man, I am spiritually pooped and I'm realizing how "non-spiritual" I am. I don't fast, I don't do devotions often, I am so far from humble...
I would probably be feeling hugely guilty after taking that course if Marv had not humbled himself in such a big way before us students. He shared some really shameful experiences, some huge downfalls in his life, it's nice to be taught by someone you know is human. We spent a lot of time in the Word, heard a ton of great stories and spent a lot of time in solitude, meditation and prayer. I'm trying to become better at listening for Christ's voice in my life. When I think of something encouraging about someone else I'm going to make a point of sharing that with them and I discpline myself in secrecy. I'm talking about doing something awesome for someone and not letting anyone know.
A vision has been popping into my head a lot lately. I see this group of Kaleo students coming together as a faceless community. I don't mean that we'll be identical to each other and we'll for m some cult. I mean that I want to create a community so incredibly godly that we're almost apart from our own bodies. I don't mean to sound crazy or naive or freakish... I've just been thinking about how nothing of mine is REALLY mine, it's all come from God- even my own testimony. If the Lord wants to use that to bring glory to him, I can't really argue, can I? I see all of us submitting to each other as well as the world outside of Qwanoes, openly sharing who we are with each other as well as being in constant service to one another.
Another thing that has been on my mind a bit is the idea of communion. Last Sunday our Church took it and I really didn't think too much of it. I probably should have figured there was a problem at this point, but I'm not known for my quickness, am I? Friday we had communion again at the dock on the ocean, and this time I really wasn't feeling in it. I was not feeling "worthy" in any way, but I took it anyway. I had noticed that someone from our group hadn't taken it, so I approached him later and asked why he didn't take part in it. Wouldn't you know it, he was feeling the same way that I was! I realized that I don't appreciate Christ's death nearly as much as I should...especially when I'm only given a few minutes to contemplate the weight of such an act before I take it.
This Sunday we're almost through the service, and because it's Thanksgiving, take a guess at what our Reverend decided we were going to do? Here I am, this menno boy who is used to drinking the wine and eating the bread maybe once a month...and this week I've done it THREE TIMES! I considered not taking it today. And then I decided that if not for myself, doing it would be an act of love towards my church, especially the youth and because this is only my fourth Sunday. Hahaha, Friday I was saying that I had not spent enough time contemplating Christ's death to better appreciate it and here God's shoving it in my face a third time. I imagine him saying "Oh you're having trouble appreciating what I've done for you this second time? Try again!" hahahah. Needless to say I feel better about the issue-the distance I had experienced has shrunk, but I'd really appreciate hearing any input you guys have to offer.
Well I would love to stay and chat, but I have some waves in Tofino to catch! Man, life is tough!
Much agape,
Kev
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Kevin, I really appreciated your reflection on communion. What you said resonates deeply with me. I believe that's what communion is all about. We need it most when we feel least deserving of it. But God keeps pushing the food in our face like our parents did when we were babies. C'mon, open up. This pablum's so good for you. And maybe we aren't in the right frame of mind, but Jesus still feeds us with his own self anyway, and we are nourished. Keep writing!
Post a Comment