Friday, February 29, 2008

Sin is sooo interesting.

We just finished our Christian Theology course yesterday. Which sucks. Our prof, a hard-nosed Polish guy was SUPER intelligent and wise in the Word. We finished the course taking about sin, which was SOO interesting. I don't know why I like learning about it so much... I don't know why it needs to be such a hard issue to talk about with some people... I'm just ready to accept how sinful I am I guess.

We talked a little bit about demon possession and exorcism, which was also cool, I've never heard so candidly such terrible stories from one person. It was a good thing. I don't know about what he had to say about exorcism though... he had been involved in a few. He talked about how the demon had to be addressed, named and give his purpose and cast out and praying them out... and sometimes there were greater demons waiting behind that one.... I just don't know how someone gets those ideas... because the only time Jesus asked for the name of a demon was when "legion" had taken over a guy... Dialoging with something so evil seems pointless to me. How can you trust that ANYTHING it's saying isn't a lie? Even if you're speaking in the authority of Christ?

Just something I'm thinking about. Especially because of the homeless walk last week. In my two experiences this year with the homeless, the spiritual warfare/ spirituality was so evident.

In contrast, the spiritual deadness of St.John's youth group was highlighted tonight. The Kaleo kids led the youth group because Kathryn couldn't make it, which was cool. We led some hilarious games that the guys have never played. But things took a sad turn when we put on the Quest video... which was about Hell (coincedence that this was right after our class on this topic? definitely not). Anyways, the videos asked a few questions about "what are your plans to avoid Hell" and "how are you going to follow Jesus"... and the answers that came from the kids who have been going to church forever shocked me. The answers were things like "Generally, try to be a good person" and "Try to stay true to yourself" and "Try to do something nice for somebody".

A. Everyone thought that it was there good deeds that would "get them in" to Heaven.
B. No one mentioned that Christ is the only way to the Father and that it's only through his death that we have been redeemed.
C. No one mentioned Jesus. period.
D. All of the answers included the word "try". Is it really that hard to DO? AGH!

It was an eye-opener. It gave us a good opportunity to share the good news with our kids... Please pray that they cared. It's tough. One girl literally got a pony for Christmas. Jesus isn't really good news when you've already got everything you think you need.

Till next time,
Kevin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.